Monday, March 31, 2008

Disneyland fun

Linda and I got away for the weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary one week late. We had hoped to stay in downtown San Diego for two nights to enjoy the Padres opening night, but the Omni Hotel, which connects to Petco Park and had a two-night special last year, was fully booked this year and didn't have a special deal.

We debated where to go, until Tami called and said they were going to Disneyland on Sunday and why don't we join them? Since we want to use our Disneyland passes, and can't pass up a chance to see Lolo, we happily agreed. We booked the Holiday Inn-Anaheim Resort for two nights and packed our bags.

We actually started the weekend at Petco Park on Friday night when we watched the Padres beat the Angels 4-1 in an exhibition game. The game was quick, we saw our usher and upper deck friends, and we were home at 10 pm.

On Saturday, we had our monthly breakfast with Linda's swim buddies, and then left directly from there to go to Orange county. We wanted to shop and dine in San Juan Capistrano, but when we drove in the place was packed with people waiting for the annual Swallows Parade, so we went to Dana Point instead. There was a small arts and crafts fair, and we bought some baked goodies and nuts there. Then we went down by the bay and walked through some shops. We stopped in Laguna Beach and Linda shopped while I went to the local library. We had lunch at C'est la Vie overlooking the ocean - had a nice lunch. We drove then to Anaheim and checked into the hotel at about 2 p.m. It is a really nice setup. Linda went to the pool and spa while I napped and read my book and checked my email. Linda called our friends Steve and Carolyn who live nearby and we went out to dinner at Outback Steakhouse, sharing family pictures and stories.

We were up early on Sunday morning, and had breakfast at the American Brasserie restaurant in the hotel. Her omelet was terrible, and my eggs and bacon were cool. The hotel manager said he would take some off the bill, but he didn't. We took the ARTS bus to Disneyland - it's $3 a day per son for as many trips as you want. That's a real good deal, since parking is $10 each entry at Disneyland. We got there by 8:30, and rented a wheelchair for Linda since she had such a hard time walking around last time. The side benefit is that we can enter through the handicap entrance at Disneyland and avoid long lines. We did the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean before going to Winnie the Pooh to meet Lolo and her parents at 9:15 a.m.

Lolo came running into our arms for a big hug when she saw us - that sure makes grandpa feel good! She had a mental list of the rides she wanted to ride and who she wanted to ride with (I tell everyone that she comes from a long line of controlling females). I didn't complain, because she wanted to go on Winnie the Pooh with me, then on Buzz Lightyear with me. Then it was on to Fantasyland, and Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Snow White and Pinochio in quick succession. We went over to Tomorrowland for pizza and salad, then to Carnation for an ice cream cone. From there it was to California Adventure and Lolo and James went on some of the Bug's Life rides while we almost went on Soaring over California but didn't want to wait an hour in line. It was 2 p.m., and Tami and her family went home and we went back to the hotel - me for a nap and Linda to swim and mingle at the spa.

We left for Disneyland again at 5 pm on the bus, got a wheelchair, and had dinner at Carnation on Main Street. We waited through the Main Street Parade at 6:30 - the sound was messed up and there was no Mickey and friends. What's up with that - they're messing with tradition here. We decided to go on Soaring over California and waited 45 minutes in line (cold and windy) but got on finally and enjoyed it again. I tried to catch the golf ball this time. Then we hustled over to watch Phantasmic, but stopped for a hot cocoa first! The wheelchair got us in a spot up front on the water right across from the sheet of water. The special effects were fantastic, but I didn't like the video shown. We left at the end, walking down Main Street with the crowds with the fireworks going off over the park. We just missed the bus and waited 20 to 30 minutes. A family from Calgary was next to us and we talked about Disneyland, the weather and our lives. We finally got back and hit the sack - pretty tired from all the walking and pushing (me) and sitting (Linda).

We slept in this morning until 8:30 when Tami called, and we checked out, had breakfast at Denny's, and were home by 12 noon. We have the Padres opening night game tonight against the Astros, so it will be another night out (4 straight!).

No comments: