I love the music I grew up with - from about 1955 to about 1967 - essentially my teenage and young adult years. I love to sing along (unfortunately, in the key of J Sharp most of the time) to songs on the radio.
I decided I would try to identify four favorite songs from each year. Here are my lists from 1955 to 1959:
* Earth Angel - Penguins
* Maybelline - Chuck Berry
* Only You - Platters
* Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley and Comets
* In the Still of the Night - Five Satins
* Why Do Fools Fall in Love - Frankie Lymon and Teenagers
* Young Love - Sonny James
* Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins
* Come Go With Me - Dell Vikings
* At the Hop - Danny and Juniors
* Chances Are - Johnny Mathis
* Oh Boy - Buddy Holly and Crickets
* All I have to Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers
* Do You Wanna Dance - Bobby Freeman
* Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
* Chantilly Lace - the Big Bopper
* 16 Candles - Crests
* I Only Have Eyes for You - Flamingos
* Misty - Johnny Mathis
* Love Potion #9 - Clovers
I'll do the '60s in a later post.
As you can see, my teenage years were dominated by love songs - they were tough years for someone who was really small, really shy and didn't dance well. But hope always sprang eternal!
What were your favorite songs in these years? Tell me why!